Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Introducing... The Mountain.

There are many reasons why I've decided to live on a farm this summer, one of them being: it provides a great opportunity to work on my career. As some may know, I'm interested in writing and illustrating children's books. I felt that getting away and being close to nature would give me the time, space, and inspiration to progress towards my goal (so far this has been true).

I have an idea for a picture book, and for the last year it's been changing, evolving, and growing with me - but the title has been certain from the beginning: I'm Going to the Mountain. This summer I had intended to work on the story and get it into a more solid form which I could then illustrate and send to publishers.

As Allison drove through the endless desert on our way to Los Angeles, I sat in the passenger seat doodling. It was then I came up with a rough cover for my book:


(Photograph from my sketchbook.)


Then wouldn't you know it, I arrive at Frog Farm in Oregon, and look what sits just across the street:



And what is this beautiful mountain called? Hope Mountain.

Haha! I believe in omens, I do, I do!!

2 comments:

  1. That is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Omens indeed.

    We talked about that right before we left, remember? All those signs?

    WOWwowWOWwowWOW.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gives me hope! Ha!

    There are no coincidences but the ones which are meant to be.

    ReplyDelete